June 4, 2010

On Literary Boycotting

And "for the little it's worth," I hereby boycott any work by Iain Banks.

Sometimes, I just can't fathom how supposedly smart people (writers and "intellectuals") can speak and behave with a complete and utter lack of critical abilities and insight. (Don't even get me started on Henning Mankell.)

(Thanks to The Literary Saloon for the above links.)

But again, unlike certain others, I won't be cowed by the double-standards and hypocrisies that too often characterize the words of literary loudmouths. And frankly, I do not have the time or the stamina to try to persuade these people of the error of their ways. So after making my position known, I simply stop engaging them, leaving them/their organizations altogether and going on to other (hopefully, more productive) ways to spend my time (and, not incidentally in at least one case, membership dues).

No comments: