December 1, 2008

Significant Jewish Books

Last night I was looking through the latest issue of Reform Judaism magazine when I noticed books by two authors I admire featured "For Discussion": Saving Stanley: The Brickman Stories, by Scott Nadelson, and The Man in the White Sharkskin Suit: My Father's Exodus from Old Cairo to the New World, by Lucette Lagnado.

As I say, these authors are not new to me (I've mentioned them both on this blog), but what is new to me is the Union for Reform Judaism's "Significant Jewish Books" initiative. As explained here, "In November 1997, Rabbi Eric H. Yoffie unveiled an initiative to encourage every Reform Jew to read significant Jewish books. Since then, the Union has selected eight volumes each year and prepared study guides for them."

The books by Nadelson and Lagnado, therefore, can now be read with an eye toward discussion fostered by guides provided here. Keep them in mind for your next book group meeting, and check out the full archive of previously recommended titles.

No comments: